Off the job - Scottish Vocational Qualification Level 2 which undertaken at the Nigg Skills Academy lasts 16 weeks.
Work to be covered should include:
- Prepare work areas for welding activities
- Prepare materials required for welding activities
- Prepare equipment for welding activities
- Reinstate the work area on completion of welding activities
- Store and control resources during welding
- Obtain and interpret welding specifications
- Contribute to effective working relationships
- Work safely and comply with emergency procedures
- Deal with hazards in the work environment
- Welding with Manual welding Equipment
- Welding with Semi-automatic welding equipment
Qualification at SVQ level 2 that could be used to deliver this model would be Performing Engineering Operations GGOV 22 – Engineering Practices. This is a qualification which along side the National Certificate in Fabrication and Welding are the given qualifications within SEMTA's apprenticeships pathways and thus recognised by industry
Units are selected with a Welding Bias though basic elements of Platework and Pipefitting are included
In order to enable the trainee to continue their training while on the job, Production Qualification Tests to - ASME IX or BS EN ISO 287 standard can be offered to the parent companies spec, costs of which are by arrangement.